This is part of a series on how to structure a growth team, in particular the marketing resources that generate sales leads. Every resourcing model along the in-house to outsourced spectrum was covered in the four-part series, with each guest giving their take from their respective position as an internal or external resource. Their views are here in these episodes as well as in a webinar hosted by the agency behind this podcast, Marketing What’s New. To hear the full panel’s answers on which in-house or outsourced model is right for your company, go watch the recording on the Marketing What’s New site – it’s ungated.
Jamie Walker has been a B2B digital marketer for the past years. She is currently the marketing manager at APX Data whose technology gives first responders crucial information about the buildings they enter when responding to a call.
Here’s what she shares in this episode:
- The size a company should be and the tools they should have in place before bringing on a full-time marketer
- How an embedded marketer observes the day-to-day interactions of sales and support people in order to piece together what problem a prospect’s dealing with and how they expect that by getting your help & becoming a customer, they’ll solve it
- How an in-house marketer takes on your company’s culture & style of project management. How they’ll also need to know risky they can be experimenting with your marketing, as they try finding what works best.
- How long an in-house marketer stays around and what to do when they are promoted or they move onto another company
- If you are a hiring manager or know someone who’s not a marketer but wants to hire in-house – this episode’s got a lot of great insights to listen to.
Don’t just look at the cost of an in-house marketer, look at how much it may cost you to NOT have an in-house marketer.