Disclaimer: The company featured here is not a sponsor of the show, nor have I affiliated with them. They simply bring a perspective that I think you’ll get some use from.
Two things are required to get a clear view of revenue growth. First, sales and marketing must come together to jointly-define the thresholds at each stage of a lead’s lifecycle. Second, they must apply points to a lead’s every action, either manually or by layering automation on this process.
My guest believes that lead scoring systems not only bring pipeline visibility, they improve the collaboration between Sales & Marketing. In fact, he claims that by pooling their information on leads and letting AI find the patterns, they can tell when a lead is ready to buy, upsell, or churn.
Gary Amaral held several positions at places like at BlackBerry & Hootsuite, always at the intersection of marketing and sales. Seeing how poor scoring led to frustration for all involved, he joined forces with two other serial startup entrepreneurs.
In 2020 they co-founded Breadcrumbs, which is a revenue acceleration platform based on a co-dynamic lead scoring and routing engine. Listen for Gary’s advice on what you need to do to get scoring right. Just as good communication helps keep couples together, the Sales & marketing relationship needs good communication on the status of leads. Lead scoring could very well be the glue in this marriage.
People/Products/Concepts Mentioned in Show
- George Box’s quote “All models are wrong. Some are useful”
- Zero party data – optional information that the consumer chooses to willingly provide to a company
- ABM – Account-based Marketing
- Codynamic lead scoring, originally developed by Eloqua
- Breadcrumbs.io’s Revenue Cafe podcast and revenue acceleration manifesto
- Gary’s email & LinkedIn Profile
You can also check out these episodes involving lead scoring:
- Ep 48 with Casey Cheshire, reviewing the book “Marketing Automation Unleashed”
- Episode 14 with Lindsay Sykes
Download Breadcrumb.io’s lead scoring template